Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Update: 16 weeks

I've been pregnant for a little over 16 weeks!  That's roughly 4 months!  Awesome.

Here's what's been going on this week:
  • I'm hungry.  Kroger is selling General Mills cereals for $1.98 a box.  I did not let this opportunity pass me by this weekend.  I love eating.  I love it so much.  I've missed having a balanced diet. 
  • I went shopping for things other than cereal this week--size Medium t-shirts, for one thing.  They're so long!  I found a couple on sale and they're so perfect at covering up the fact that my jeans are not my friend.  Small t-shirts are getting a little too short.
  •  I had my 16 week doctor's appointment yesterday!  I've gained 3 pounds (overall), my blood pressure is lovely, and the baby's heartbeat is 150 beats per minute.  The doctor listens for a heartbeat with this weird, doppler wand thing on my belly and the heartbeat sounds a little like clothes in the wash cycle.  Sometimes you hear this other sound like gusts of wind on a microphone and that sound is the baby moving.  This baby is apparently very active because we heard it a lot.  They kept asking me if I'd felt it move and, of course, I haven't.  But this is the first week that I could possibly be feeling something (moms who have done this before recognize movements sooner, but I'm inexperienced....and kind of oblivious a lot of times), so I'm not anxious.  Especially since it sounded so active at the doctor's office.
  • I've made my appointment for my ultrasound!  In 2 weeks, we will see our baby and (I really hope) find out if we're having a boy or a girl!  And then! we can stop calling this poor child "it."  We say "the baby" a lot, but "it" slips into conversations more than is comfortable.  
  • Another library worker asked if I was "expecting."  I love when people use the word "expecting."  I'm pretty expectant.  We have a lot of hopes and plans and expectations.  She suggested I be surprised by the sex with my first baby (because that's what she did, of course!).  I  honestly don't know how much more surprise I can handle.  I already know I'm going to be completely and utterly surprised if we're having a boy or a girl.  Finding out probably isn't going to take away any of the astonishment.  I'll just spend the rest of my pregnancy absolutely being surprised that it's ...... whatever it is.
  • After yesterday's appointment, I texted family to let them know the doctor's visit went well and that the ultrasound was scheduled.  Casey later called Cody to ask if he had a preference.  After the second or third time he said he didn't, he actually blurted out "I don't care one way or another!"  I laughed at him, and reminded him that there were better ways to say he would be equally excited about a son or a daughter than "I don't care."  His reply?  "[Sigh.]  I just want a baby!"  I reminded him that we also want it to be healthy.  But he said he had a feeling it was healthy and that we were fine on that front.  Oh.  Well, that's cool.  Thank you, dear.  It's nice to watch Cody be so excited about everything.
  • I own my car.  I know that's not quite a baby-related thing, but the title came in the mail yesterday and it's really happy news and everything is somewhat baby-related.  So: we have one less bill to worry about, and we took care of it before the baby got here!  This will get its own separate post later, but I wanted to mention it on the baby update because paying down our debts is a big part of trying to get things ready for our family.  Hooray!
  • But since you read these posts to hear about the baby, here's what the Internet has to say about our little four-monther: "Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop."  (Source.)
  • Remember what I said about being constantly surprised?  The baby's grown another half-inch in a week!  No wonder my pants have abandoned me!  I'm carrying around a whole avocado-sized baby!  It's so big!  With a hair pattern!  And its ears are moving into place! (I really hope they're not uneven, like mine.  But most people's are.  But I bet this baby's special, so maybe not.)  And that heartbeat!  Did you see that?!  25 quarts a day?!  Look at what that strong little heartbeat can do!  
  • As always, I'm so proud.  This baby is so impressive.  Probably groundbreaking.  Definitely awesome.
  • This is a picture Cody took of me last night:  
  • I like to have my picture taken at the end of day, right after I've eaten, so I know I look my best!
  • Cody said it was a pretty picture.  Just listen to the man.  I promise I'm not sticking out my stomach.  This looks a little contrived, but it isn't.  The baby is starting to show!  I like to have it around.  This way I don't look so strange touching my belly all the time.  Because I do.  I don't talk to it that much (am I supposed to be doing that yet?), but I do like to let it know I'm paying attention and pretty enthralled.
  • And thank you for paying attention.  I love how excited the people we love are getting about this lovely time, and that's why I write these posts instead of just mentioning in a regular post "I feel good/I'm growing/things are fine, etc.".  I think you're pretty enthralling, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 1/2 inches is HUGE! No wonder your belly is getting big! I was shcoked by that 25 quarts a day heart pumping!

I hope the next two weeks go by very, very fast!

-Laine

Alana said...

I agree with Laine! I hope the next two weeks fly by! I can't wait!

Cody is right: you look beautiful in this picture!

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! I can't wait, I can't wait..... Oh well, what can I say?
DAD

Kelly Peterson said...

Jen, you have a baby bump. Wow. I am sooooo insanely happy for you. Are you reading to the little one? If so, what? I suggest some William Carlos Williams mixed in with a lengthy discussion of Jane Austen.

Jen said...

Laine: The baby is, like, an athlete or something. Aren't you impressed?
Alana: I know, and thanks! One reason I'm excited for this weekend is that it will mean I'm just one week away from the ultrasound. Whee?
Dad: YOU can't wait? We're dying over here. Come onnnnn! So ready.
Kelly: I haven't started reading to it yet, but soon. I have been reading some Virginia Woolf myself, and hoping that it soaks some of that up by osmosis (just some "Orlando," pretty fanciful), but I like your suggestions.