Monday, September 20, 2010

Update: 15 weeks

15 weeks!  This is huge!  And by that, I mean I am huge.  Or at least getting there.  No, really.  I am noticeably pregnant.  So that's new.  Here are some other things that have been happening:
  • On the noticeably pregnant front, people are noticing.  A co-worker privately asked me last Friday if I was pregnant because she'd been suspicious for a month!  I went to the library and checked out some books on pregnancy and the woman checking me out looked at my choices and said, "That's what we thought."  And when I told my supervisor this morning she was excited, and confessed that she and at least one other person (and not the same person from Friday) had wondered as well.
  • Both of the mirrors in our house are so high up that I can only see my shoulders and face.  Yesterday, I was in a bathroom where the mirrors were from the waist up--and startled myself when I was leaving and glanced at my chest from the side.  Exciting changes over here.
  • Just so you know I'm not all talk--here I am!  
  • I'm laughing at Cody because he's struggling with the camera.  Look at my new banner of cards!  Y'all are sweet.
  • I like being able to see my belly.  I rub it a lot, and having it around makes this even more real for us.
  • Eating is so much fun now that I want to do it all the time!   No, really.  I like having my appetite back. I didn't realize how much I missed enjoying food until I started enjoying it again...with gusto.  I still love apples, and grains, and vegetables.  And dairy products.  And meat.  I just get excited about food these days.  Cody's excited about that, too, and made a giant pot of spaghetti last night.
  • Like I mentioned earlier, I checked out some books about pregnancy.  I'm halfway through one of them and I am not even freaking out!  Hooray!  I told you I wouldn't!
  • I still try to stay away from the Internet when it comes to anything pregnancy or baby-related, but on my weekly check-in to Baby Center, this is what I read: Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. (Source.)
  • 4"?!  Where did the time go?  Our little champ is breaking the 2 oz. mark and developing little lungs.  And moving!  And hating bright lights as much as its daddy!  And working out those little limbs and joints!  What a busy little thing--I'm so proud.
  • I got a card from Brook just for being pregnant and she included a gift card to Cold Stone Creamery.  I love how excited our friends are for us, and it's been fun to hear their questions and opinions and advice (Jeff's missive: "Name it Jam.").
  • Cody also have lots of opinions about the baby: Like what names it can and can't have.  And he thinks it likes tomatoes, so he should be allowed to make more dishes with tomatoes in them (I disagree) because he probably read something about the health benefits of tomatoes.  I found out yesterday that he wants to sing a lot to the baby when it gets here, and that he hopes it will like singing with him when it's bigger.  
  • I'm suddenly seeing more '80s pop in my future than ever before.  I can't wait.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. My ruler shows that 4 inches is HUGE!

2. So, you were eating prunes when the baby was the size of a prune, and now you're all in to eating apples...I'm detecting an interesting trend here...

3. You look very nice with your belly.

4. I put a flashlight up against Joanna's belly when she was around 7 or 8 months pregnant...very entertaining!

-Laine

Erin said...

Yay for looking pregnant. Kinda cool huh?

Question...I remember you blogging your crafty pumpkins last year...and I thought cool...I still think that. I want to make some ASAP. Did you post the how to? Or can you link me to instructions? I want pumpkins like...NOW! (patience has never been my thing)

Jen said...

I never posted a tutorial because I read a few paragraphs in an issue of Martha Stewart Living last year, and went with it (plus, this was pre-digital camera). But this is a superthorough (and pretty!) tutorial that I found when I was googling for fabric pumpkin pictures last year: http://thompsonfamily.typepad.com/thompson_familylife/2009/11/fabric-pumpkin-tutorial.html#comments

Alana said...

Love the picture! It was so great to see you this weekend! Ok, so, did Jeffrey write or is he preparing to write a song entitled "Name It Jam?" I really hope so.

Jen said...

Whoops! I meant 'directive' when I wrote 'missive.' Jeff just refers to it as "Jam" a lot, and keeps insisting I name the baby that. But given his love of writing songs about jam......I kind of hope this happens! Lovely seeing you, too!

Erin said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I plan to make some of those VERY soon. I have some cute fall fabric scraps that need used and an empty basket that is screaming to be filled with something.