Monday, September 13, 2010

Update: 14 weeks

Important announcement: I am in the second trimester!

This is huge.  Why?  Just because, mostly.  It's exciting and surreal and yesterday I demanded that Cody high-five me in the check-out line at Kroger because it hit me all at once that I was in the second trimester and I'd never had that adventure before.

Also, because if my math is right (and it's usually not), I have been pregnant for 100 days.  

That's pretty overwhelming.

But I get overwhelmed a lot these days.

Things that overwhelmed me (bad): Freddie Mercury is dead.  Slow Internet. 9-11.  Cupcake stands.  Every driver on the road who is not me.  Having to answer phones at work.  People who whine.  (Oh shush!)

Other things to overwhelm me (good): borrowing clothes, and offers to borrow more clothes.  Being married.  Getting flowers.  People being happy for us and nice to me.  Arts and crafts projects.  Rediscovering my love of Cheez-its.  Getting lovely cards with well wishes for the baby and my anniversary from both Alana and her sweet mom. 


If you're curious, this is what I look like now.  And this is what Cody looks like too!

We'd just eaten big lunches.
And now for the list:
  • I love food again.  Cody and I have been going crazy with apples at the farmers market.  I've been so happy to really enjoy good food--especially fruit!--again.
  • I made copies of my eight-week ultrasound pictures to mail to Mamaw.  The woman at the photo center in Wal-Mart saw them and asked me if it was my baby in the pictures.  I said it was and she gushed "Awwwwww!" and congratulated me and commented on how small the baby was.  For second, I really thought she was going to say "cute."  It was a nice interaction.
  • I will do just about anything in my power to not wear pants.  It's not so much chubbiness or the baby taking up space, but I'm bigger (thicker?  wider?) and I'm just not happy with anything touching my waist.  Gross.
  • This is good dress weather, and I'm currently wearing a dress of Mom's.  And Laine sent me home with some jumpers and dresses this weekend.  (The whole family got together for Dallas's birthday this weekend, but I'm going to wait to post pictures from the party tomorrow because that's his actual birthday.)
  • This is what the Internet has to say about the baby right now: "This week's big developments: Your baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another. His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process he'll keep up until birth. He can grasp, too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.

    In other news: Your baby's stretching out. From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches — about the size of a lemon — and he weighs 1 1/2 ounces. His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body. (His legs still have some lengthening to do.) He's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over his body. Your baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Though you can't feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active."  (Source.)
  • Yesss!  Growth!  Weight gain!  Facial expressions!  Pee!  Red blood cells!  Movement!  And hair!  I love babies with hair.  This baby is such a fast-growing champ.
  • I'm crocheting granny squares for an afghan.  Any baby that comes into my family will obviously need one.  Especially one this important.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

14x7 is 98. Sorry to burst your bubble. But that is a really long time, nonetheless! Impressive.

I cannot believe s/he is making faces, and is 3 1/2 inches long! Growing like a weed...

And yes, I measured out 3 1/2 inches with my ruler.

-Laine

Jen said...

The math is a little fuzzy. Based on the math of my last period, etc., I hit the 14 week mark yesterday. But they wiggled the due date a little after the ultrasound and figured I was a couple of days past 8 weeks. I've been pregnant for over 3 months. Just let me have this one.

Erin said...

Yay, second trimester! And...if you were like me you'd be over halfway done already! (I like the fast track!) Very cool. I love reading your baby posts. I'm so excited for ya'll!

Jen said...

Erin, please don't take this the wrong way--I don't want to be like you. No gall bladder attacks, no NICU visits. I'm a lazy girl and I like things easy! This baby can take its sweet and lazy time!

Erin said...

I dont WANT you to be like me, nope, stay nice and calm and pregnant for a good while longer please! =) I hope my next baby is much more lazy and less of an over achiever than Isaac was. He gave me plenty of excitement!

Alana said...

Next time I see you I will give you a "second-trimester-high-five!" Who doesn't like high-fives? Also, the picture in this post is too cute!!!