Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Update: 13 weeks

  • I am 13 weeks pregnant!  This is the last week of the first trimester.
  • I don't have a picture of myself.  I'm sure I'll take one at some point this week.  Trust me, I look the same.
  • I feel fine.  I had an awesome weekend, and aside from some nausea right now (I'm really hungry and ready for lunch), I practically don't feel anything.
  • I didn't realize feeling not-horrible was going to creep me out so much.  If I couldn't feel my tummy, I would feel like something had gone wrong.  But I can feel my tummy, and now Cody can too!
  • I was in the best mood ever for this three-day weekend--almost the entire time!  We went to the farmer's market and I wanted fruit (I've hated fruit since the sixth week or so because it just seemed disgustingly watery.  Before this, I could live on fruit and was a little sad to be this way smack in the middle of peach season) and we walked everywhere.  I need to be a lot stronger if I'm going to carry around a big, healthy baby!
  • This is what I read about the baby this week: Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Your baby is almost 3 inches long (the size of a medium shrimp) and weighs nearly an ounce. (Source.)  
  • I hate shrimp.  I also learned this week that all of the food comparisons are really unsettling to Cody.  So I guess I'll just have to find something else to compare the baby to when I tell him I'm growing a stinking giant!  The baby was the size of a tiny fig just 2 short weeks ago and now it's nearly a whopping 3 inches long!  A three-inch shrimp with little fingerprint whorls.  What an impressive little miracle.
  • I ate a turkey sandwich yesterday.  I'm sorry.  It was toasted, so I think it's okay. 
  • Pumpkin spice lattes are back and I've already had 2!  That probably has a lot to do with why I'm feeling so great.  Now would probably be a good time to get defensive and explain that 200 milligrams of caffeine is safe for a pregnant woman to ingest.  I'm erring wayyy on the side of caution and allowing myself 1 can of Mt. Dew and 1 cup of coffee per day.  I usually don't finish either, which makes the occasional piece of chocolate or Starbucks run (tall orders only!) more than okay.  See for yourself!
  • I've cut back on caffeine consumption considerably, which made all that first-trimester fatigue and unhappiness (not to mention Cody's fears and predictions about Pregnant Jen and No-Caffeine Jen) so much worse.  But I do enjoy the caffeine I can have, and I'm secure in the knowledge that this won't be a detriment to the pregnancy and the baby won't turn into a crack addict or a serial killer because of a little coffee with my wholesome breakfast.  At least I don't think that will happen.  It's hard to keep track of the consequences of everything that I'm doing wrong.
  • Believe it or not, I really don't spend that much time on pregnancy websites, or leafing through books with titles like Caffeine and Red Dye No. 5 are Making Your Fetus a Sociopath and You Have Ruined Everything.  I still love bread, so I eat a lot of that and I still love water, so I drink a lot of that.  I load up on vegetables (I'm having salad today!  Look out!) and eat an apple or a helping of figs, and this weekend I found some yogurt I like.  And believe it or not, I'm almost always happy when I think about the pregnancy and the baby we'll have (unless someone asks me a question I don't know the answer to--that stresses me out and sends me into a tailspin of self-doubt and panic).
  • I have lots of hormones and emotions.  This is true all the time, but you may have noticed an extra intensity these days.  Freakouts are louder, plans are crazier (but that could because it's fall), happiness is giddier, and Saturday I nearly cried in the middle of a sidewalk when I saw a flier for Spencer's band's single release party because that turned out to be the last show they ever played.  
  • Cody ..... is a champ.  I demand mind-reading on top of perfection, and he's failed me in both departments a bunch of times.  That's disappointing.  But there are also times when he surprises me with just how great he is, and I think that says a lot since I'm used to him being the nicest man I know.
  • I'm the luckiest girl to ever carry a baby so advanced s/he probably had fingerprints last week.  But I bet you already knew that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I find the shrimp comparasion very creepy. I liked the fruit or vegetable comparasions though!

-Laine