Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Something about September

Did you know that September is National Yoga Month?

It is.

I'm not the most dedicated exerciser, but I do like yoga.  I don't really have a lot of focus or balance, but I dislike aerobics a lot more strongly than I like yoga.  So yoga it is!  I'm sure my joints like it better as well.

(You know what I really love?  Weight-lifting.  No kidding.  But that's probably not an option for me right now.)

I like to check out yoga and Pilates DVDs from the library and I have my little yoga mat and after days that are less than ideal (have you paid attention to the news today?), it's nice to go home and wear comfy clothes while you do a series of stretches to relieve the tension out of your lower back and get gentle reminders to breathe.

Laine gave me a prenatal yoga DVD a few weeks ago, and I really like that you practice the routines at a much slower pace (duh), and there are modified poses for each trimester (a really big duh).  Honestly, what I like best is an interview with the instructor--she said she practiced yoga throughout her pregnancy (because she's a yoga instructor) and gained 50 pounds.   I don't know why I like that, but I do.  It's reassuring.
There are yoga programs for building muscle, for increasing flexibility, for weight loss, for calming yourself and meditating, etc.  I like that.  You can do it if you're pregnant, arthritic, or injured.  I really hope you're not all of those things.  

Where am I going with this?  Uh, you should try yoga?

Actually, I wouldn't take it that far.  I just knew that I wanted to say something about yoga when I found out that we're in National Yoga Month because I really like exercises that aren't so heavily results-oriented or aggressively telling you to work harder or push farther while you're sweating and hurting and grunting "Absolutely not" while my your glasses fall off.  I just like yoga because you're encouraged to pay close attention to what movements affect your body and be mindful, and if you haven't tried it, well....I would never go so far as to tell someone "You should do this exercise!"  But I will say that if you're interested, now is a good time to try it out.   Check out what google tells you, or find out what materials your library has to offer you.

I hope you like it.  I hope you don't have a problem with your glasses falling off.  I've heard that can be a problem for folks who aren't particularly coordinated.  Bless their hearts.

1 comment:

arkansaseden said...

Y'know, I feel as if I *should* like yoga. In many ways it seems right up my alley. Goodness knows I need a healthy way to handle stress, and maybe things wouldn't get on my dang nerves so much if I put on some soothing nature sounds and did a few backbends.