Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's Banned Books Week

We're smack in the middle of Banned Books Week!

What does that mean?

Well, if you're an educator (or if you're just around ignorant people a lot) it means you can use this time as a teaching moment (homeschoolers and former homeschoolers alike practically live for teaching moments).  Banned Books Week is a nice jumping point for discussions about censorship, morality, art, government intervention, and history.  And then some.

If you're not an educator and you're not surrounded by ignorant people then you need to tell me where you are and please oh please let me live with you  can just celebrate your freedom by reading a book that's been banned or challenged in the past.

Now.  I could provide you with a list of banned or challenged books, but come on.  This is about thinking for yourself!  Using google!  Exercising your own discernment when you're navigating through different lists on different websites created by different organizations!

Fine.  I'm just too lazy to link all this stuff for you.  Have your own adventure!

Beside, I've already grabbed my banned book: The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie.  It was on a display at the library (PS: you can also check your library!  They may have special displays out this week!), and I thought now was as good a time as any since I've never read the book and I hear about it from time to time.  Plus, Cody's read it and I haven't.  And it's fiction.  This is a rare occurrence, and I don't like it when that happens.

But, if you do want some quick and easy picks for banned books, here are some I can name off the top of my head:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain.  I was never a fan.

The Awakening, by Kate Chopin.  Again, not a fan, but I'll happily loan you my copy.

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle.  I'm taking Laine's word for this.  Ridiculous.  This is a great book.

The Bible.  I'm a fan.

1984, by George Orwell.  It was accused of having a pro-Communist message.  I don't understand people.

Paradise Lost, by John Milton.  I don't understand why people read this in the first place.
The Canterbury Tales, by Geoffrey Chaucer.  I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up.

So.  I really would encourage you to dig around the Internet or your library to see what's out there (I would normally encourage this anyway) and enjoy your chance to read.

No comments: