Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ta da!

So.
This is happening!

Surprise!

Cody and I are having a baby!

Can you believe it!?!?

I kind of still can't believe it, even though I've known for about 2 months.

Yes, two months.

You know how I've been tired and skipped blogging days and wasn't funny sometimes?

I was tired and feeling gross.

And for a while I was afraid the baby stole my sense of humor.

It was so hard to keep from talking about the pregnancy sometimes that I just wouldn't talk!

But now we're telling people!

We told our families 2 weeks ago and they were superexcited.

And now we're telling everybody.

That's the fun thing about telling people:
I didn't expect anyone to be quite as excited as we were.

(I mean, you can be happy for people when they celebrate good news.
But you can't be as happy as they are, right?)

Um, sometimes wrong.

Family and friends are absolutely! freaking! out!
In the best way possible.

At one point, I texted Alana my due date and she replied "Love it!"

I don't even know what that means.

But we're thrilled and grateful.

We always knew this baby would be so, so loved. But wow.

I can't blame anyone for being so pumped.

You take these good looks and wit....
(Cody, on the left, and Casey at 19 months)

....and combine it with this sparkling personality and pretty face
Jen, probably around a year old

... and you're bound to get something (someone) awesome.
This is going to be the cutest baby ever! I can already tell.


And I should probably mention that there is just ONE baby.
Yay!


So, in place of the emails I've been sending our families for the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd just do a weekly baby update here. I promise to try to keep from saying anything gross.

  • I'm 12 weeks and 2 days along!
  • By the way, this is me on Saturday.

  • There's not a whole lot to see. Most of the time, I just look like I ate a big lunch.
  • BUT! I swear, I can feel a little pregnant tummy. It's different from the fatness that came from not working out all these months (I get tired! And it was hot outside!). It's totally where the baby lives. Cody can't feel it. Cody is such a jerk sometimes.
  • Fine, Cody is awesome. He's still trying to find things that I will eat that are not jello and popsicles and bread. We had a very successful trip to the grocery store this week!
  • I decided last week that Cody and I were going to take a trip to the Memphis Zoo because I found a coupon. So we went on Saturday. And Laine and Leah joined us. It was hot and I sat down a lot.
  • The Memphis Zoo sells popsicles in vending machines for $2.25. Tell all your friends!
  • I still really love popsicles.
  • Then Robert made me a really bloody hamburger and I nearly cried. But I always do that when I'm unhappy with meat.
  • Laine let me borrow a dress because mine was covered in zoo sweat...... and Doritos dust and popsicle runoff.
  • I am expecting my pre-Mother of the Year trophy to arrive in the mail any day now.
  • I went to the doctor yesterday and discovered I'd gained half a pound. Whoa!
  • I was told my lab results from my last visit looked great and that everything about me is awesome. Maybe not in those very words, but whatever.
  • We heard the baby's heartbeat again! It's around 150 beats per minute and sounds absolutely glorious.
  • I feel better every week.
  • I am practically out of the first trimester!
  • I read that this is what's going on with the baby: "The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. (Jen's note: wait, what? It pees on me? We're family, so I guess it's okay. Did I just fail at being not-gross?)

    Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.
  • My baby is like a lime with reflexes!!! Synapses are firing! It looks less like an alien! It's 2" long!!! This baby is so exciting!
  • And lastly, this is the week we're telling everyone! Some people cried a little, some people laughed. Some people laughed a lot. There were a lot of all-caps text messages. Mamaw said she would get out her needles and make something and then I nearly died with joy because the woman who made my little sweaters and booties is making something for my very own baby and I can't believe there's going to be another adopted grandkid lucky enough to love Mamaw. And everyone was very, very happy.
  • And in case you couldn't tell, this baby is very blessed and will probably have the best life ever. Thanks for helping with that.

2 comments:

Mom2Four said...

Hi Sweetie & Tiny Little Baby,

This is your best post ever!!! Very informative, too. What a trip this is going to be, for everyone of us. We are all looking forward to it!!!

Love you both, and praying daily for your health and well-being.

Alana said...

It's finally letting me leave a comment! I cannot express to you how happy and excited I am about this baby!!! I can't wait to read future blogs about the whole experience! Love you!