Friday, April 30, 2010

April's book list and some filler

Okay, fine.

Adams, Douglas. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

That's the only book I finished this month.

A few thousand years ago, my friend Monica used this novel as a primary source in her senior seminar paper. Around that time I looked over her paper to point out some of the more obvious grammatical flaws (I didn't discover the more nuanced ones until after she turned it in......I came across a copy of one her drafts a few weeks ago and carefully averted my eyes, lest I find something that would compel me to write her a screaming letter of apology), and thought "Oh, this looks like a fun read."

And then I never read it. But I did read the Hitchhiker's Trilogy and that was fun.

So earlier in the month, Cody and I dragged ourselves down to southeast Arkansas to enjoy some family time and the soul-deadening atmosphere of the Delta on the Saturday before Easter. When we came back home, we fled to our nearest Starbucks and Barnes and Noble. I saw the book and impulsively grabbed it. I bought it. I read it. I liked it.

(We also had some Chinese food, but that's not relevant to this post.)

So. If I was going to only read one book this month, I'm glad it was that one.

Let's change the subject!

I was walking home yesterday when I saw this:

I love eggs. I can never remember if robins have eggs this blue, or if they're speckled. I don't feel like looking it up. Isn't this pretty?



And then I came home and saw this!

And this!

Yes! Little seedlings!

Unfortunately, I don't know what these little seedlings actually are because I forgot which seeds are planted in which containers. But I'll find out soon enough. It's something to look forward to.

Just like I'm really looking forward to going home today and seeing if anything else has shown up on my porch. I love growing things.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: