Friday, September 4, 2009

Poultry Friday


from www.nataliedee.com

I was going to post something else. Probably a happy list. But it was not meant to be.

First, I saw that lovely cartoon up there and laughed hysterically.

Then, I was chatting merrily on the phone with Dad and he asked if Mom had sent me any pictures of the laying box Dad and Dallas had built for the chickens.

Um, no! There are pictures?!?!

Mom has some chickens. Dallas helps, especially with checking for eggs.

Dad builds things and is quite handy. Dallas has become very adept at being a handy helper in the last few months. He and Dad burn trash, pick up things, and sometimes build stuff.

Like laying boxes for hens. You know, no big deal.

Also, I need to include this picture.


This is from last Thanksgiving, when Mom cleaned up the house and we all came together and ate and dirtied tons of dishes and settled in for a nice afternoon of visiting and game-playing while the dishwasher leaked water all over the kitchen floor.

Yes, the dishwasher waited until Thanksgiving to release a leak. It was pandemonium.

After some mild rioting and breaker switching, Dad and Chad pulled out the dishwasher into the middle of the floor to intently run it and see from whence the water came.

It was just a cracked hose. After laying in the floor uncomfortably for some time, they were terribly elated to watch the water drip out everywhere and Chad yelled, "Winner, winner chicken dinner!"

It was fixed in no time, and everything dried out and normality resumed.

I just wanted to tell the story because it was funny.

I guess it also illustrates how handy Dad and Chad can be.

Anyway, Dad and Dallas took it upon themselves to build a laying box for the chickens. They like to build things. Chickens like to lay their eggs in boxes.

And those chickens have really started laying in the past couple of weeks. I'm not saying it's because of this amazing craftsmanship, but I don't think it could hurt either.

So, I was delighted to see these lovely pictures.

And now, I give you the laying box:


Not what you were expecting? Me neither. I didn't realize it was going to be quite so sturdy! Seriously, that's a lot of lumber. I know you shouldn't just slap some pieces of plywood together and expect it to be okay when multiple chickens are just jumping in and out and moving things around, but wow.

Very impressive.

And it's up on bricks to keep things dry and comfortable. Chickens seem to like to jump up to roost. I don't know why that is.

And the "bricks" were once a border for one of Mom's flowerbeds.

I like it.

Now you can see how big the box is in relation to a chicken. Nice, eh?

And yes, those are shingles on the roof of the box.

Chad helped with the roofing. I think they had some shingles left over from re-doing the roof on the storage building. When I asked Dad if I could blog about this project, he said I could and that I should probably mention that Chad helped with the shingles and with moving the box into the pen.

They had to put that thing on his four-wheeler to move it over to the pen.

And Dad said that afterward, Chad crawled into the box so that when Sara walked over to help with the unloading, Chad reached out of the box and grabbed her to scare her.

Oh Chad.

He finds it hilarious when she's angry.

He stays amused often.


And I saved the best picture for last:


Tell me that doesn't just make your day!

It made mine.

So, quickly, a happy list:
  • This weekend is going to be lovely! I hope you have a safe and happy time!
  • Brown eggs.
  • Dallas and Dad are very handy men.
  • Chad is also very handy and should behave himself.
  • Chickens are great.
  • Chickens that lay eggs are really great.
  • Just one more time

2 comments:

Laine said...

Oh my goodness! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I noticed the shingles right away. I laughed at least 2 or 3 times while reading this. Oh that family!

Jen said...

"That" family? Trying to distance yourself there?