Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Except for the part where he met me

Cody is one of the unluckiest people I've ever met.

I could set up what I'm about to say with a million or so examples, but I'll be brief.

He is home sick on his first day of work.

He has flu-like symptoms, but no fever (important) and seemed a little too sprightly for a flu person.

He didn't feel all that amazing yesterday, and last night he went to bed early.

I did not go to bed early.

I had things to do. Dishes to wash. Floors to sweep. Things to get together so that I could stumble through the house like a zombie and be out the door by 6:30 a.m.

Yes: a.m.

Morning time.

But it was not to be.

I went to bed a little late, and then stayed up even later rereading a Madeline L'Engle book. I was awakened a few times by Cody tossing and turning, and coughing, and his weird breathing.

And then I was awakened by the 5:30 alarm.

Oh gracious.

As soon as Cody started talking to me I knew this was all over.

He sounds like a goose going through puberty.

Does that make sense? No? Then let's just say he doesn't sound like himself.

Normally he sounds like a nice, soft-spoken man who is whispering.

Today he sounded very sick.

In spite of his lack of fever, his mom told him to stay home. I can only imagine how startling that phone call must have been. He mentioned feeling sick yesterday when they were talking, but that voice. Unsettling.

But since we were up, we stayed up. We took our decongestants (I don't feel awesome, but I'm very, very tired and very, very allergic to every substance around me), and I chopped up some fruit for breakfast and we drank coffee and watched the news and Cody read a magazine and enjoyed some coughing fits while I took my time getting ready for work.

He is probably drinking tea and settling in on the couch for a nap as I type this. At least I hope so.

This isn't that bad as far as some mishaps go--I don't think his mom will fire him, he's not feverish so we're going to say it's not the flu, and he'll be at the house for when the landlord and the bug guy come through (why does the landlord have to come with 'his' bug guy? We're assuming to poke around the house. Take that, snooper! Swine flu! Okay, not really.) and I can rest in the assurance that the landlord won't be trying to check out our home.

Seriously, that guy creeps me out.

And now Cody can creep him out.

With that terrible voice and that terrible cough.

Bless his unlucky heart.

But he's going to get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids and I've got him all stocked up on inhalers and tissues and cough drops and medication.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

No comments: