Tuesday, April 7, 2009

NASCAR weekend pictures holy smokes and excitement

I saw the O'Reilly 300 at Texas Motor Speedway this past Saturday and it was amazing!

It was also a little bittersweet. I have never missed Levi more. I talked to him as we were driving to the track and I wrote down the numbers of cars he'd wrapped. We walked through the vendors' row and Dad pointed out the huge semi-trailers selling merchandise he'd done and I almost got teary from pride. And from just plain missing him. Levi, Christmas was too long ago!

Ahem. Anyway, I had a blast and getting windburned, sunburned, mildly dehydrated, and absolutely filthy from sweat, sunscreen, and flying track debris was just a bonus.

I've finally been to my first NASCAR race, and I'm definitely going again some time.

And now: the pictures.
In the beginning, I took pictures of people.
Here's Cody, wearing his enormous new t-shirt I gave him for his birthday.
I assure you, it's just the t-shirt making him look that blobby.
We'll shrink it after a few more washings.

Here's Dad, putting in his ear plugs (essential).


Here are Travis and Alana,
the geniuses who thought a quick weekend trip to watch a race might be fun.
Here's the view of Turn 4 from our seats.
Fourth row, baby.

We had an excellent view of pit row.
I love pit row.
I can't parallel park, so a whole lot of this seems like magic to me.
You can also see the pole, which is pretty cool.
If you look closely, you'll see that this was when Joey Logano (#20) was in eighth.
He's Sara and Levi's new favorite driver.

The crowd!
After I pulled out my big lens.
Look at all these cars getting ready to go!

Look at these cars!!!!!
We could feel them going by.


It's a pit stop!
I love pit stops!
We were close enough to hear the air drills.
Spectacular.

Here's one that was even closer to us!
New tires and fuel!
I'm serious, I really love pit stops.

See the Dollar General car?
Levi may have something to do with that.
Yup.

Peeling out of pit row.
I really love pit stops. And Texas. And my zoom lens. And weekends. And loud noises. And fast cars. Long walks back to the car. Drunken stereotypes. Little pieces of tire rubber getting in my eyes and smearing on my face when I tried to wipe it away. Long lines. Uncomfortable seats. Pit stops. The national anthem. Taking pictures. Smoke. Cautions. Programs. Commemorative t-shirts.

All of it.

I need to do this again.

4 comments:

Mom2Four said...

Your brother will be so proud of you!! A true fan--not one complaint about the traffic, the noise, the track debris, what a gal!

I am glad that you enjoyed it as much as it could possibly be enjoyed. Cody is quite a trooper.

Maybe the rest of the family should get together and go to Memphis for the truck races. Levi said that they are supposed to be great fun.

A nice tribute to your brother. Well done.

Jen said...

The whole adventure was so exciting! And the sunburned people really had something to show for it. I just have my pictures. But yes, I've already considered the possibility of Memphis truck races. They sound superfun.

Laine said...

I want to go to a race now! Yes, lets all go to one here, as a big happy family! That would be so fun. Everyone can sleep in my floors!

Jen - I think it's called an air-impact wrench. Not a drill. But I could be wrong...

Very nice!

Jen said...

I think you're right. I finally realized the phrase "air drill" was stuck in my head from my history minor days. Ha!