Monday, March 2, 2009

February book list

Fitzhugh, Louise. Harriet the Spy. 1969. New York: Dell.
As good as I remember it. Strike that. Better. And now it's comforting as well.

McCullers, Carson. The Member of the Wedding. 1946. Boston: Houghlin Mifflin Company. *
This was so depressing I wanted to die. Even more than I did after reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, which was just a flat-out better book. I am so glad I read Harriet the Spy after this.

Moore, Alan. Watchmen. New York: DC Comics. 1987.
Cody said I had to read it before we saw the movie. Actually, Cody has been telling everyone that they have to read this since....forever. I thought the ending was stupid. But I read somewhere that the ludicrous ending has been changed in the film. So now I'm just plain worried that there will be too many changes and the crowd at the theater will be angry and I'll be stuck with Cody for the rest of our lives as he rants about flaws. This is serious business, y'all.

Woolf, Virginia. The Voyage Out. San Diego: HBJ. 1920.
This was her first novel. She. Is. Amazing. It's not as experimental as her others, but that somehow makes it even more incredible. I loved this.

No comments: