Thursday, January 3, 2008

Various sundries, etc.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning. And then I stayed awake.

This may have had something to do with the fact that I fell asleep before 9. I had a full belly of pizza and ice cream, and then I passed out without brushing my teeth or washing my face. (I feel like a character in a cautionary tale for small children right now.) But I've been going to bed pretty early for the past few nights because it's been cold, which makes me tired, and there's nothing on TV, and I recently got a foam mattress topper thingy and it makes going to bed in our overcrowded bed the best thing ever. So I had about 8 hours of relatively uninterrupted sleep and then I was completely awake at 4:30. Alert, conscious, and worried about the wet clothes still in the dryer. Plus, Cody was snoring a little. So I decided to get out of bed. I used to get up at 5:30 all the time. There were plenty of fun things for me to do before it was time to get ready for work. So I threw on a robe and got up and made a pot of coffee. I switched the clothes over, and put another load of clothes in the washer so that Cody would have something warm to wear. Then I loaded the dishwasher and ran it. Both of those things violate the noise rules in our lease agreement. But I'm thinking if Cody was able to sleep through it in the other room, then surely it couldn't have been that big of a disturbance. (I hope.) The only time I managed to wake up Cody was when I got my camera out of our room. I had raised the lid on the desk and when I turned around, Cody was awake and staring at me. I felt a little silly. I just told him that I was awake and doing stuff and he should go back to sleep. He said he would and then he did.

I needed the camera so I could take a picture of our beautiful Christmas tree, which, yes, is still intact. Or, at least it was around 5 or so. I hadn't taken any pictures of it. So I took one with the lights in the living room on, and two where they were off. Then I started taking the ornaments and lights and garland off. It's a pre-lit tree, but I like to add a little extra. Fortunately, I didn't try to take off the 'attached' lights like I did last year. Ugh. Some of the boxes (like the one for the tree itself, and some of the ornaments) were in the storage closet. I briefly considered going outside and getting them but worried that the noise would wake up Cody. And I was wearing a robe and fuzzy houseshoes, which are great, but don't do a lot to protect one from below-freezing temperatures. So now all that's left is the tree itself and 4 or 5 ornaments. And I'm going to put the wrapping paper in the closet. I drank lots of coffee and folded clothes and tidied up the apartment a little. I wanted to vacuum because the garland had shed everywhere, but again, there was that noise concern. Besides, I should probably wait until the tree is packed up and put away.

The alarm eventually went off and I woke up Cody and took my shower and started getting ready for work. Those extra two hours were nice. They're not something I plan to make a habit of, but they were nice for doing the majority of my de-Christmasization efforts. Cody griped a little because he thought I had washed some shirt he wanted to wear and I hadn't and then I told him to be nice to me because I'd gotten up and done pre-dawn laundry for him. We both knew that wasn't my motivation, but still. I'm a little sleepy now, but it's just after lunch, which is usual. Aside from taking the wrong exit off of the interstate this morning, everything's normal (and I got to work a little early in spite of it).

In other news:
  • I'm writing thank-you notes. I'm getting a late start on it this time. Normally, I have most of them out of the way by New Year's Eve. I've written one so far. It was to Dallas, and since he's 6, I decided to write in print instead of cursive.
  • Writing in print (legibly) is excruciatingly difficult and makes my hand tired, almost to the point of pain. I can't believe anyone writes in print past the third grade.
  • We're getting a new attorney at the end of this month, which means I'm moving out of my office and back into my little corner. So no more windows I can open or doors I can shut. It was fun while it lasted, though.
  • We're back to working on the scanned acts from sessions before 1987 again. We took a little break for Christmas.
  • I will most likely be going to bed early again tonight.

No comments: