Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I went to the library yesterday....

....and then I got some books! Never mind that I've renewed Paradise Lost 4 times and still haven't even opened the book, I had some selections in mind and I went to the library after work and it was glorious. This was in spite of the fact that the parking lot is all torn up and parts of it are blocked off due to construction and that you have to drive through the exit because the entrance is really.....just not there any more. On the plus side, parking is free right now.

So. I checked out

  • Dune by Frank Herbert. Okay, I read the prequel trilogy that his son and this other guy wrote last year. It's a new year and I'm ready to start the series. This is very exciting.
  • The Company by Max Barry. About 2 years ago, I read a review of it that sounded pretty interesting and it's been on my 'Books to be read' list ever since.
  • The Biographer's Tale by A. S. Byatt. I love her. I'm just going through her books alphabetically by title now. This is the fourth (?) book of hers that I've read since Dr. Prewitt assigned Possession in British Novel (SP04).
  • A collection of 4 books by Philip K. Dick. Mostly, I just wanted to try out Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It's the book that Blade Runner is based on, and even though I really didn't like that movie at all, and Monica read the book and said it was a little disappointing, I think I'll try it out.
So what did I read last night? A book I already have--On the Beach by Nevil Shute. It's a ridiculously depressing account about what would happen if every nuclear bomb in the world was detonated over some misunderstanding and all you eventually had left were some little places in Australia waiting for radiation to reach them. Whee. I started it, so I finished it. Right before bed. I woke up just before the alarm went off this morning in the middle of a dream and when I realized it might be time to wake up and get ready, I thought something along the lines of "Why bother? They're going to die in 3-5 days anyway." I'm very certain about the 3-5 days part. Who I was thinking about, though, has since been lost. I'm glad that's over with. Because I feel a little nervous about carrying around library books in my purse (but not nervous enough to not bring them on long car trips with hotel stays), I'm carrying around The Golden Notebookby Doris Lessing now. It's slow going (at least for me). Because there are almost no new shows on right now (yes, I know American Gladiator has all new episodes--Cody made me watch part of it Sunday night), and I don't really care about other states' primaries, I think I'm going to be getting some more reading done.

So now you're a little caught up on what's going on with me, based on the books I've been reading/checking out.

No comments: