I have 2 sisters and a brother. We're all pretty different from each other. I heard some question that asked "What do you have in common with your sibling?" and the only thing I could think of at first was "Our parents." There are other similarities. Most of them are pretty trivial. I'm going to list them. Some of them surprised me a little bit.
1. We have the same parents. This is a big one.
2. We were homeschooled for most or all of our education.
3. None of us have gone to college at our parents' alma mater.
4. None of us seem particularly capable of attending an institution of higher learning with a football team. (Yes, I know Sara went to UCA, but she's not there now, is she?) I may be reaching with this one.
5. Due to our father's conditioning, we will unconsciously slowly pump our fists in time with the Razorback fight song any time it's played.
6. We're pretty much dog people.
7. We are deathly terrified of passionate worship services. It doesn't matter what denomination you belong to, if you're on fire for Christ, we're probably slowly backing out of the room.
8. As babies, we all had the same nose.
9. As babies, we were born with above-average birth weights. In fact, we were all somewhere in the 90 percentile range until our first birthdays. Then we plummeted into physical mediocrity.
10. We consider Dallas Pallone to be partly "ours." I wouldn't go so far as to call him an honorary sibling (mostly because I think there are very few people beside Dallas who would consider it an honor), but I would definitely say he's up there with the brothers in law. Maybe we could say he's like a part-time sibling.
11. We have all raised sheep.
12. We have all had bottle calves.
13. We have all shown chickens.
14. None of us will ever own goats.
15. We were all born in even-numbered months and years, and started kindergarten in even-numbered years. (12-82, 6-84, 8-86, 12-88; and 88, 90, 92, 94) No, our parents did not plan it that way, and yes, they also find that a little creepy. Fortunately, our graduations and weddings have mixed things up a little bit.
16. We are omnivores.
17. We love some of the same shows (Walker, Texas Ranger; The Office; Pinky and the Brain)
18. We get loud when we're all together.
19. We will eat cereal for any meal.
20. Pie is also considered a completely acceptable breakfast.
21. We can tell you anything you'd ever want to know about asthma, breast cancer, bicuspid aortic valves, ADD, judging chickens, fitting sheep, Altosid, Apistan, drying herbs, dealing with strange children, and John Wayne movies. We could probably tell you more than you'd ever want to know, actually.
22. We love pictures.
23. We love Rick and Gail, also affectionately known as Dad and Mom.
24. We love Cody and Robert, also referred to as the interlopers. I'm just kidding. We call them "Jen's husband" and "Happy Bob" (or sometimes "Bernard").
25. We like Creedance Clearwater Revival, Weezer, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Reba, George Strait, and Elvis. We would have more in common to like if I enjoyed rap. But I don't, so there's that seed of contention.
26. Some phrases that are kind of like inside jokes. A sampling: buffalo heifer, terroristic threatening, the terrorist mobile, deo for your B.O., Limbo the chameleon, 'What's that on your hay-ed?', we are we going? (answer: BIBLE class), write a letter, spending some time with Mrs. Gail to get straightened out, and going to the circus.
I am obviously running out of things. Maybe I'll add more as time goes on. These are some of the tiny, trivial things I have in common with my sibling. Our differences are usually what's more enjoyable, which really makes me look forward to the holidays.
Here's Dallas and Rick, trying on the tuxedo for Jen's wedding. Dallas' actual mom is the one with the orange cap, trying to figure out how to work the camera on her phone.One big happy family.Just the siblings.