Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Meatloaf!! Mom, we want some meatloaf!

I really enjoy my mom's meatloaf. So once I stood in the kitchen and made her tell me everything she was doing as she made and then I wrote it all down. Unfortunately, this was night she was feeding an insane amount of people and so this recipe runs a bit.....generously. It makes about 2 normal-sized loaves (or, in the case of that night, one HUGE one. I took a picture. I wish I could upload it). So you may want to play with it a little bit. Mom always does.

#1 Rule: Have a really big bowl.
Preheat oven to 350° F.

1 pound of tomato sauce
2 packages (about 4 pounds) of hamburger meat
Mix the sauce and meat with:
3 tablespoons of chopped onions (more or less)
about 2 tablespoons of basil
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
a little bit of Italian seasoning
some flavored bread crumbs (4 or 5 tablespoons)
1 or 2 eggs (usually just one)
salt and pepper

Mix well (usually done with your hands)

If it looks a little bland, add a little more spices with the ketchup. You may need an extra egg. Egg and bread crumbs are what hold it together. You can also make the bread crumbs yourself by making toast, but flavored bread crumbs have more flavor and are easier.

Mold into a loaf and place in a pan. Add ketchup and spices to the top (but not chopped onion--that should only go inside the meat to hydrate better).

Cook for an hour, maybe longer. When the top starts to crack, it's done. You may not want to use all of the tomato sauce.


I hope you enjoy this. Please don't ask me any questions. I wrote this down when I was 14 or 15, but I don't handle raw meat, so I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. Cody's made it before and it was great.

No comments: