Monday, September 10, 2007

One Year

So. Cody and I celebrated our one-year anniversary this weekend. We reviewed some things and decided we were still happy to be married to each other, which is good. We kind of celebrated for the whole weekend just because we could. We got cards from Mrs. Dicy, Kayla, Laine, Mom and Dad, and Sara (in that order). We forgot to buy cards for each other. Hmmm.... There will be a photo blog about all of this in the next few days, chronicling all of the awesomeness that was. So here are some of the things that happened this weekend.


I bought more contact paper even though I had perfectly good contact paper because this was so much prettier. This annoyed Cody because he had already papered 3 shelves in one of the cabinets, which was incredibly sweet but very poorly done. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful gesture.


We saw 3:10 to Yuma on Saturday. You should go see it. It's wonderful. Russell Crowe didn't tick me off (I can't stand him), the accents weren't terribly distracting, and the ending was sad, so you know it's a good Western then. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of big, sweeping scenery shots. Odd.


We went to Dallas' sixth birthday party yesterday. I got a goodie bag this year. I walked away with 3--yes, 3!--slap bracelets. Okay, one is Cody's. But still. Once Laine explained to the children what a slap bracelet does, they were pretty enthused.


On a totally unrelated note, none of us (Jen, Cody, Laine, Sara, Mom and Dad) want to have kids. Ever. Well, that decision may have been influenced by the attendants of yesterday's party. They were all very strange, very unruly, and disconcertingly short. I'm pretty sure malnutrition is not unheard of in Rose Bud citizens. Also, their capacity for violence and whining reminded me of Ricky Bobby's children, only not funny. [shudders]


Some things that have changed since we got married:


  • Cody helps around the house more. Sometimes I'll come home and he'll have made the bed and vacuumed. He's also been loading and unloading the dishwasher.

  • Cody doesn't eat out as much anymore. Especially without me. At least, if he does, he's not dumb enough to bring the fast food sacks into the house and throw them in the trash for me to find.

  • We keep the checkbook balanced.

  • I no longer commute 100 miles a day.

  • I have a car.

  • Our rings are paid off.

  • Cody has passed Spanish I.

  • I don't think we live below the poverty line anymore.

  • I help Cody chop up things when he cooks. Sometimes.

  • We almost have enough bookshelf space for all of our books.

  • I have scaled back my caffeine consumption.

  • Cody still works odd hours.

  • I have gained weight and so people have stopped asking me if I feel well.

  • Cody has a beard.

Some things that have not changed:



  • We still have too many books.

  • We have debt.

  • We are still poor.

  • Cody has not graduated.

  • I still occasionaly have dreams about wedding planning that make me wake up in a panic.

  • I still resent the time that Cody spends with his comic books instead of me.

  • Cody still does not understand my deep and abiding love for yarn.

  • We eat wayyy too much frozen pizza.

  • Cody is still left-handed.

  • Cody is still a twin.

  • I am still insisting that we will one day have chickens.

  • I supposedly abuse caffeine and it makes me crazy. That's just what Cody keeps saying.
  • I only pay attention to the things I want to.
  • Cody only hears/remembers 1 one of the 5 things I say.

  • People keep feeling sorry for Cody when we're out together.

  • I still have no idea what those people are talking about.

  • We still like each other.




2 comments:

Mom2Four said...

Happy Anniversary, again!! Obviously, your Dad and I have already made the decision to have children. I think it worked out pretty well for us. As far as the birthday crowd goes, you know that I will always claim you guys and Dallas and then I quit. I am glad that you still like Cody since your Dad and I were hoping he was going to be around for awhile. Loved the pictures!!!

Jen said...

Ha! I really am glad the family likes Cody so much. It makes bringing him to family events so much more fun.