Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weekend Update

Last Friday, Cody and I talked about making jam, but none of the pick-your-own places had any blackberries left. The more I thought about the process and how long it would take and how hot the kitchen would get the more I freaked out until I decided we might make jam some weekend, but not this weekend. So we didn't. But if we ever do, our canning stuff is ready for us. So I went to the Farmer's Market by myself on Saturday, which meant I didn't buy as much as I usually do because there was only one set of arms to carry things. And since it was my set of puny arms, I didn't get very much or anything very big. I finally broke down and bought some bitter melon. All of the Asian peoples sell it, and I've been seeing it for weeks, and it was something like $1.50 for 3 or 4 and so I bought some. I haven't tried it, yet. I'm going to google it to see if we're supposed to cook with it, eat it, dry it, whatever. I went to the restaurant and ate. I showed up at 10:30 because Cody thought that things would be slowed down enough by then and we could eat together. He and Spencer finally got their breaks around 12. I didn't wait on him to eat. My love for chicken strips was too strong. So I sat with his aunt and uncle, talked to them, read my book after they left, and then I got to hang out with Cody and Spencer. I got home around 1. Did some laundry. Cleaned some stuff. Thanked God I wasn't spewing juice over everything and boiling things. Cody got in at around 3 or so. We watched TV.

Sunday, we went to church for the first time in a while (translation: we woke up before 10). We visited the Highland Valley United Methodist Church (I think I got the name right). A friend had recommended it to us. Right now the best thing I think it has going for it is that it's right across the street from the Kroger. I think we should go back for the rest of the month before we move on to something else. We shared a pew with one of the cutest little girls in existence. No, really: it made me smile just to look at her. Afterwards, we went to Kroger, ate frozen pizza for lunch, and watched some more Bones on DVD. I love TV on DVD. I'm going to be sad when we finish Season One. We eventually got off the couch and started getting ready for Sunday dinner, which was moved to supper-time because Jeff had to pick Alana up at the airport at 5ish. For some reason, we didn't potluck this one. I don't know if it's because Cody had so many things he wanted to try, or if it was because we already had so much food. But the only thing anyone had to bring was drinks. So Jeff showed up with Mt. Dew and creme soda. Creme soda is so wonderful. Dinner was good. The company was good: Jeff, Alana, Jason, Jessi, Kayla, and Brad. We talked about food, and friends, and old classmates. Everyone left around 9 or so. Jeff and Alana had to go back to the airport to see if her luggage had finally arrived (it had), and everyone just eventually followed them out. I had my weekly phone call with Levi. We talked about pizza, odometers, laws, dust, sorting laundry, family, and the joys of getting real mail. I stayed up late cleaning the kitchen and was tired yesterday. Plus, my allergies are bothering me: I'm ready for some rain! At least we're below 100 degrees now. I went to bed early last night and slept in a little this morning anyway. That's really it.

No comments: