Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Books, You are My Friends

I got my library card in the mail yesterday. Having this card means I can gain access to the collections of the 10 or so libraries that make up the Central Arkansas Library System. It means I can check out 5 books for up to a month (unless they're 14 day checkouts, then it's just for 14 days). It means Cody and I won't have to share a card! I'm pretty excited. I love books. I like the way they look. I like the way they smell. I like the way they feel in your hands. I like stories, and information, and pictures. I like that my love of books makes me look smart.

Okay, the last sentence is more about how I like having my ego boosted, but the others are true statements about the pure joy I take in books. I really want to take Dallas to the library with me some time. I want to do this partly because I think he needs to go into a big library just to know that three-story libraries aren't just something you see on TV and far away. I also want to do this because once he knows I have a library card to a three-story library, he's going to think I'm amazing and cool. Yes, it may seem a bit pathetic to work for the adoration of a five-year old, but you must understand that I'm competing with a pit crew student and two girls who take him to Sonic. Plus, I think it would be enjoyable for him if I could take him one Saturday just to mess around in the River Market; to see the farmer's market, the library, the river, fountains, just fun stuff like that.

One more thing about the library card, and then I'll move on to other things. On the back of my approved library card application was a 50% off coupon on up to 2 'gently read' books at the used bookstore that shares a parking lot with the library. Hallelujah! I love books. I love coupons. I'm so happy.

Cody's working at the restaurant washing dishes until he gets a job or his mom finds a dishwasher (they seem to have a revolving door for dishwashers there). It's a good deal: money and free lunch and something to do during the day while he waits on people to call him back. He should be getting a call about one job pretty soon. He registered to take Spanish II on Monday. This could be the final undergraduate course for him. Pray for us. I mean it.

Yesterday was rib day at the restaurant (in case you're curious, the name is Kierre's Kountry Kitchen and they're open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday-Saturday. And they cater. It's one of my favorite places to eat and it's one of my favorite perks of being married to Cody. They have great pie.), so he brought some back for me. I ate them and I was happy. There are 2 more left in the fridge and I'll probably eat them for dinner and be happy again. I love ribs. I wisely decided against bringing them for lunch today because I knew I'd get all happy and sleepy for the rest of the afternoon. So I'll just have to be happy for the rest of the day with the knowledge that they're waiting for me at home. And be happy with the books, and the coupons, and the library card.

2 comments:

Mom2Four said...

You have been this way about books since you were a few months old! It is nice to know that some things don't change. A word of warning from a fellow book lover though, that collecting thing can get out of hand in a hurry!! Money and space wise - I have been through tons of both!!

Jen said...

And who is always there to take some off your hands???